PreviousNext




1987.06

Rhinelander, Wisconsin. I was in charge of lighting the charcoal for a barbecue, on a windy day. The fire kept blowing out, so after a few tries I doused it with lighter fluid again and put the cover partially over the grill to keep the wind out. The coals were slightly hot from the previous lightings, and the lighter fluid steamed up into the grill.

When I went to relight the coals, the air inside the grill exploded outward, engulfing my arm up past the shoulder. The fire settled back almost immediately, but all the hair on my arm was singed down to little black dots against the skin.

No permanent damage.